Cultivating cannabis can be a gratifying experience. The cannabis industry is a fast-growing market full of opportunities. However, to successfully start and run a cannabis business, you need experts on your side.
Cannabis cultivation consultants have years of experience in the industry and can help guide growers through the marijuana business. Because this is a new and growing industry, it may take time to gain regulatory compliance and to find the tools you need to create a sustainable business. At Prospiant, our in-house experts are here to help.
Cannabis Consulting from Industry-Leading Professionals
Prospiant is a company built upon decades of foundational experience in commercial growing. Our customers count on our expertise in controlled environment agriculture (CEA) technology, life sciences, and infrastructure to grow their businesses. Our experts can act as your cannabis cultivation consulting professionals to help you with every facet of your business.
We understand that running a successful cannabis business takes time, coordination, and resources, which is why we’re here to lead you beyond your goals.
How to Find a Reliable Cannabis Consultant
Finding a cannabis consultant you can trust shouldn’t be an overnight process. You need to understand your goals, business plan, and cultivation method to succeed. Here are some key considerations to make when searching for a cannabis consultant:
- Know Your Needs and Budget – Knowing your business inside and out will help you find the right consultant. Even if you’re still in the planning stages, form a clear vision of where you want to take your company. Consider where you want to grow and what legal certifications you’ll need to start your business. In addition, think about the size and scale of your business. Maybe you want several cannabis facilities to grow mother plants and work with customized plant treatment. Or, perhaps you want a single facility to focus on a specific cannabis breed. Having a thorough understanding of your needs, budget, and long-term goals can help you find a cannabis consultant who aligns with your vision.
- Have a Plan – Have a plan to identify where and how a cannabis consultant can help you. Cannabis growing operations can vary widely in purpose and future goals, so knowing where you want to take your business is essential in finding the right consultant. If you need assistance navigating permissions and clearance from your local or the federal government, look for a consultant who can help with these tasks. Or, if you’re looking to grow your understanding of cannabis management so you can be a successful business owner, find a consultant with experience in this field. Knowing where you need help and what plans you have for your business will help you find a consultant who is right for you.
- Find a Reliable Communicator – Communication is one of the foundations of success. When it comes to growing cannabis and leading a commercial operation, communication should be one of the pillars of your business. Look for a consultant who is an effective communicator with a proven record of successful project management. There are often dozens of experts involved in cannabis cultivation, such as growers, greenhouse builders, and legal experts. Having a consultant who can facilitate communications between these groups is essential.
- Know Your Niche – If you’re starting a cannabis business focused on a specific industry area, know this before hiring a consultant. Some consulting experts may specialize in one area, whether greenhouse building, human resources services, or legal work. Other consultants may advertise as an all-inclusive service, meaning their team has cannabis entrepreneur experts across the industry. If you need a more niche consultant, consider this before making a decision.
Benefits of Cannabis Cultivation Consulting
If you’re unsure if a cannabis cultivation consultant is right for your business, it helps to understand the benefits of this service. Then, you can make a more informed decision about whether you need consulting. Here are some key benefits of this service:
- Organization – As mentioned, running a cannabis operation takes coordination across groups. If you’re just starting and want to run a commercial company, you’ll need to find a place to grow and build commercial structures. Before you invest in flower plants and organic soil, you’ll need to work with builders, designers, engineers, and other experts. It can feel overwhelming to organize these different groups, which is why cannabis consulting services can be so helpful. These experts can help you stay organized as you plan and execute different facets of your business.
- Follow Legal and Regulatory Framework – Because cannabis is a newer industry, many laws and regulations exist. As a grower, you’ll need to work with state, local, and federal regulators to get the clearance you need to run your business. Getting this clearance can apply at every stage of your company, from setting up your cannabis facilities to selling your products. Cannabis consulting firms can help ensure you have full legal clearance at every step and can explain laws and regulations to you as needed. As laws change, your consultant can keep you up-to-date on the latest rules.
- Save Resources – While the upfront cost of hiring a consultant may seem high, this step may save you money, time, and resources in the long run. These specialists can give you tips and tricks to avoid certain mistakes that could otherwise cost you. By doing the hard work upfront and putting in the effort, you can focus on running and growing your business to fit your goals.
- Set Up for Success – Planning is a fundamental part of success. And when it comes to the cannabis space, many small steps are required to reach larger goals. Having a cannabis consultant alongside you can help you navigate these challenges and establish yourself in the industry. Consultants can not only help with the legal and technical aspects, but may also be able to help with branding, messaging, and refining your commercial image. Working with an expert can set your business up for long-term success.
- Make Industry Connections – Knowing other experts in your industry can be helpful when you need advice down the road. Your cannabis consultant can help connect you with industry leaders who may know more about your niche or may identify with the goals you’ve set in place. Connecting with other business professionals in your area who understand local laws and can advise you as needed can be constructive.
What is the Cannabis Consulting Process?
The cannabis consulting process may look different depending on the size and scale of your company and your ultimate goals. However, there are some general steps you can expect to take once you hire a consulting firm:
- Brainstorming – First, you’ll need to meet with your consulting team to brainstorm a general business development plan. Depending on how much work you’ve done beforehand, this step may start with getting legal access, finding a site to build commercial facilities, or selecting the type of niche you want to work in. The brainstorming period may take several months, depending on how much assistance you need.
- Gain Clearance – Before you’re ready to set up your commercial operations, you’ll need to gain full legal clearance to grow cannabis. This step may require you to apply for a license, meet with government officials, and fill out applications. Your consultants can help identify what work needs to be done and what steps you need to take to become a certified commercial grower.
- Plan for Optimization – Once you have legal clearance, the next step is to start planning. Again, every operation is different, so there are many paths the planning process can take. If you’re looking to build a greenhouse for growing, you may need to select a site location and connect with builders and engineers. This step may look different if you’re looking to open up a retail store. Ultimately, your consultants will work with you to set a plan in motion that is focused on operational efficiency.
- Expansion – Once your business is up and running, your consulting firm can help with expansion plans. This may require that you gain further legal clearance or look for new sites to grow your crop. Expansion plans should be centered around a common goal and always consider how you can build for operational efficiency and long-term profitability.
Leverage Our Cannabis Consulting Services for Your Business in this Booming Industry
Although it can seem challenging to build a successful cannabis business, you’re not alone. At Prospiant, we have a dedicated team of experts who are here to help you when and how you need it.
When you purchase a greenhouse through Prospiant, our team of experienced professionals is here to help you reach your goals through coaching and expertise. Our team is made up of experts in the produce, cannabis, and commercial agribusiness industries. Let our decades of experience work for you to consult you as you build and grow your cannabis business.
So why choose Prospiant to consult on your commercial cannabis project? There are so many reasons you should partner with our team:
- Experience – Prospiant’s team is made up of experts across industries who work together for your success. Our team includes engineers, designers, builders, and agribusiness professionals who understand the inner workings of the cannabis industry. Our specialists can work to consult you through building your business and can help with legal, technical, and environmental challenges you may face.
- Proven Record – Since our founding, Prospiant has developed a successful history of completed projects. We have completed more than 200 cannabis projects and have 500 cannabis designs and projects submitted for permitting. We like to let our experience talk for us, so we invite you to explore our rich history and learn more about the businesses we’ve helped.
- Multifaceted Team – Prospiant stands on the foundation of six industry-leading brands. Together, our brands have more than 150 years of combined success. When you work with our team as your cannabis consultants, you can leverage these different aspects of our business to work for you. We’ve got in-house specialists who understand greenhouse construction, engineering, design, growing, agriculture business, and so much more. Let our wide range of skills work in your favor to set you up for success.
Frequently Asked Questions
A cannabis consulting firm is a team of experts who guide you through building a cannabis business. These firms can work with you from the very start, whether you need to gain legal clearance or you’re looking to build a cannabis greenhouse. Prospiant offers consulting as part of our services. In addition to consulting, we offer designing, building, and integrating solutions for commercial growers.
A cultivation consultant is someone with experience in implementing large-scale cultivation plans. These specialists can give you the tools you need to set up and run a successful cultivation business. Cultivation consultants can vary across areas of interest. Depending on the crops you grow, you can find a consultant that works in your niche.
To find the right experienced consultant for your business, clearly understand your needs and goals. You can outline a general business plan beforehand, and then share it with potential consultants to see who aligns with your vision. You should also clearly understand local and state cannabis regulations in your area. This will give you a better idea of what legal work needs to be done before you can open for business.